Call Us Free  Phone 0800 988 3674  or Mobile  Mobile 0333 200 4465 Call Us Free  Phone 0800 988 3674  or Mobile  Mobile 0333 200 4465

Can You Claim For Compensation If You’re Hit By An Uninsured Driver?

Being involved in a road traffic accident that wasn’t your fault is a traumatic experience – and one that is made more stressful when the responsible driver is uninsured or untraceable.

If you suffered personal injuries and your vehicle is damaged in an accident that was the other driver’s fault, you are entitled to claim for compensation. However, when you’re hit by an uninsured driver or by a driver who can’t be traced because they didn’t stop at the scene of the accident, it can cause concerns about how you can make a claim.

The good news is there are steps you can take to secure the compensation you deserve, even if the person responsible for the accident is uninsured or untraceable.

Will Your Insurance Provider Pay Your Compensation?

This depends on the type of insurance cover you have. As a guide, with comprehensive vehicle cover you will likely be able to claim for vehicle damage through your insurance company but your provider is unlikely to provide any cover for your personal injury costs.

It really does depend on your policy so it’s important you check the terms carefully. For example, certain insurers offer a so-called uninsured driver promise that means you won’t lose your excess and no-claims discount for making a claim for an accident that wasn’t your fault involving an uninsured driver – but not all do.

How Else Can You Claim For Compensation?

Most compensation claims for road traffic accidents involving an uninsured or untraceable driver are made through the Motor Insurer’s Bureau (MIB), a not-for-profit organisation created to provide compensation for victims of accidents caused by uninsured drivers.

Regardless of the type of insurance cover you have, the MIB can provide compensation when the responsible driver was uninsured, for:

  • Vehicle damage
  • Property damage
  • Personal injury

For accidents involving untraceable drivers, the MIB will only provide compensation for personal injury claims.

How Much Compensation Can You Claim For?

This depends on a number of factors, including your individual circumstances, vehicle damage, the nature of your personal injuries, and the type of insurance cover you had at the time of the accident.

How Long Do You Have To Make A Claim?

A compensation claim must be made to the MIB within 3 years of the date of the accident.

The only exception to the time-limit rule is if the case involves a personal injury to a child – when that happens, you have 3 years to make a claim from the date of their 18th birthday.

How We Can Help You Claim Compensation

Our specialist solicitors can help you with your claim to the MIB, including assisting with filling out the claim form and how best to make your case in order to give you the best possible chance of securing the level of compensation you deserve.

To speak to one of our solicitors about making a compensation claim for a road traffic accident caused by an uninsured or untraceable driver, contact us on freephone 0800 988 3674 or Chester Tel: 01244 405 399 or email